Snooker news – Judd Trump hammers Mark Selby, Ali Carter whitewashes Xiao Guodong
Judd Trump made light work of world number one Mark Selby with a 5-1 victory in the World Grand Prix quarter-finals on Friday.
Breaks of 77 and 86 allowed Masters winner Trump to race into a 3-0 lead before Selby pegged one frame back.
However, the three-timed world champion was no match for Trump, who reeled off the win with a 102 and 72.
Trump will face Barry Hawkins in the last four after he beat Kyren Wilson 5-2 in the second afternoon match.
Hawkins’ last ranking tournament victory came at the World Grand Prix two years ago, and after a disappointing season to date – having reached just one semi-final before Friday – he is now two matches away from his fourth rankings title.
A perfect start saw Hawkins record a 134 in the opening frame before moving 3-0 up.
Wilson struck back to trail 3-2 but another century of 116 moved Hawkins clear before he won an edgy seventh frame.
In the late match on Friday, Ali Carter booked his place in the final with a blistering performance, defeating Xiao Guodong 6-0.
The Captain raced out of the blocks notching breaks of 54, 99 and 71 to take the opening three frames. He then knocked in a 126 break to make it 4-0, a total of 382 points without reply.
He won the fifth on a re-spotted black and then wrapped up the sixth to seal an emphatic victory.
WORLD GRAND PRIX
FIRST ROUND (best of seven frames)
Monday, February 4
- Ronnie O’Sullivan 2-4 Marco Fu
- Mark Allen 4-2 Gary Wilson
- Barry Hawkins 4-1 Ryan Day
- Stuart Bingham 4-1 Zhao Xintong
Tuesday, February 5
- Martin O’Donnell 3-4 Ali Carter
- Jimmy Robertson 3-4 Mark Davis
- Mark Williams 3-4 Yuan Sijun
- Neil Robertson 3-4 Xiao Guodong
- Joe Perry 3-4 Tom Ford
- Stephen Maguire 4-1 Mark King
- Judd Trump 4-3 Stuart Carrington
- Jack Lisowski 1-4 Ding Junhui
Wednesday, February 6
- Mark Selby 4-1 Shaun Murphy
- John Higgins 2-4 Noppon Saengkham
- David Gilbert 4-0 Yan Bingtao
- Kyren Wilson 4-3 Matthew Stevens
LAST 16 (best of seven frames)
- Xiao Guodong 4-1 Mark Davis
- Tom Ford 2-4 Judd Trump
- Stephen Maguire 2-4 Yuan SiJun
- Barry Hawkins 4-1 Marco Fu
Thursday, February 7
- David Gilbert 4-0 Ding Junhui
- Ali Carter 4-1 Mark Allen
- Kyren Wilson 4-0 Stuart Bingham
- Mark Selby 4-2 Noppon Saengkham
QUARTER-FINALS (best of nine frames)
- Ali Carter 5-1 David Gilbert
- Xiao Guodong 5-4 Yuan Sijun
Friday, February 8
- Mark Selby 1-5 Judd Trump
- Kyren Wilson 2-5 Barry Hawkins
SEMI-FINALS (best of 11 frames)
Ali Carter 6-0 Xiao Guodong
Saturday, February 9
Judd Trump v Barry Hawins
FINAL (best of 19 frames)
Ali Carter v Trump/Hawkins
Ali Carter v Trump/Hawkins