Snooker news - Ronnie O'Sullivan hits 'phantom century' as Neil Robertson knocks in maximum
Ronnie O'Sullivan secured a 4-2 victory over world number 105 Sanderson Lam after slipping behind early on in their first-round clash at the Welsh Open in Cardiff.
The five-times world champion - winner of the Welsh Open in 2004, 2005, 2014 and 2016 - began the match slowly with a number of errors as Lam assumed the early control with a 2-1 lead.
But the Rocket responded in stunning fashion with brilliant back-to-back breaks of 95 and 116.
He was denied a century due to a foul after not waiting for the referee to re-spot the pink in the fourth frame, but made up for it in the fifth, bringing up his ton with a brilliant double on the blue.
"Just to answer all the tweets asking me why the century didn't count for Ronnie," said referee Brendan Moore on Twitter.
"Spotting a colour is part of the stroke. As Ronnie played the next stroke before the spotting was complete, the foul is on the pink, that's why the break was 95 and a foul 6 to Sanderson."
It was a fine reaction from O'Sullivan, who was not in vintage form in the opening-round match in Cardiff.
A scrappy sixth frame saw the Englishman close out victory and take his place in the second round.
The highlight of the evening session came in the fourth frame of Neil Robertson's 4-1 victory over Jordan Brown when Australia's leading player knocked in his fourth career maximum.
The 2010 world champion was in devastating form as he watched Brown win the first frame with an 88 before producing sparkling knocks of 77, 147 and 140 to breeze through to the last 64.
World number one Mark Selby completed a 4-2 victory over Anthony McGill with breaks of 139, 75, 61 and 80 enough for the three-times world champion to progress.
McGill pieced together 74 and 105, but suffered another disappointing early exit.
German Masters champion Kyren Wilson sped to a 4-0 victory over world number 119 Andy Lee, making breaks of 63, 88, 67 and 60 in completing a one-sided win that lasted only one hour and seven minutes.
Welsh Open first-round results
(Best of seven frames)
- John Higgins 4-0 Graeme Dott
- Li Yuan 2-4 Dominic Dale
- Soheil Vahedi 4-0 Chen Feilong
- Alfie Burden 2-4 Craig Steadman
- Jack Lisowski 4-3 Niu Zhuang
- Tian Pengfei 1-4 Marco Fu
- Sean O'Sullivan 1-4 Ken Doherty
- Sam Craigie 4-0 Mark King
- Chris Wakelin 3-4 Hammad Miah
- Mark Davis 3-3 Joe Perry
- Fergal O'Brien 2-4 Oliver Lines
- Ding Junhui 4-0 Chris Totten
- Jak Jones 4-2 Matthew Stevens
- Michael White 2-4 Peter Lines
- Joe O'Connor 4-2 Rhys Clark
- Kyren Wilson 4-0 Andy Lee
- Judd Trump 4-0 Harvey Chandler
- Xiao Guodong 3-4 Duane Jones
- Robbie Williams 4-0 Rod Lawler
- Anthony Hamilton 4-0 Sam Baird
- Stuart Bingham 4-0 Ali Carter
- Jamie Clarke 2-4 Matthew Selt
- Martin O'Donnell 4-0 Hamza Akbar
- Ricky Walden 4-2 Lee Walker
- David Gilbert 3-4 Jimmy Robertson
- Nigel Bond 4-3 Alan McManus
- Zhao Xintong 4-1 Jackson Page
- Stephen Maguire 3-4 Zhou Yuelong
- Zhang Jiankang 4-3 Fan Zhengyi
- Alexander Ursenbacher 4-2 Yan Bingtao
- Allan Taylor 0-4 Yuan SiJun
- Ronnie O'Sullivan 4-2 Zhang Yong
BOTTOM HALF OF DRAW
- Mark Selby 4-2 Anthony McGill
- Adam Duffy 4-2 Zhang Yong
- Eden Sharav 2-4 Xu Si
- Stuart Carrington 3-4 Noppon Saengkham
- Ryan Day 3-4 Thepchaiya Un-Nooh
- Lukas Kleckers 4-0 Peter Ebdon
- Ashley Hugill 3-4 Hossein Vafaei
- Ross Muir 4-2 Daniel Wells
- Scott Donaldson 4-2 John Astley
- Joe Swail 4-2 Li Hang
- James Cahill 4-2 Gerard Greene
- Shaun Murphy 4-1 Adam Stefanow
- Luo Honghao 1-4 Ian Burns
- Liam Highfield 3-4 Liang Wenbo
- Mei Xi Wen 4-3 Michael Holt
- Mark Allen 4-2 Mark Joyce
- Barry Hawkins 4-0 Sunny Akani
- Lu Ning 1-4 Ben Woollaston
- Michael Georgiou 4-0 David Lilley
- Jimmy White 4-2 Andrew Higginson
- Neil Robertson 4-1 Jordan Brown
- Gary Wilson 4-0 Robin Hull
- Rory McLeod 0-4 Thor Chuan Leong
- Lyu Haotian 1-4 Paul S Davison
- Robert Milkins 0-4 Mike Dunn
- James Wattana 4-3 Chen Zifan
- Billy Joe Castle 4-3 Simon Lichtenberg
- Luca Brecel 2-4 Kurt Maflin
- Alex Taubman 2-4 Elliot Slessor
- Ashley Carty 2-4 Tom Ford
- Martin Gould 3-4 Zhang Anda
- Mark Williams 4-3 Kishan H Hirani