PA Sport

Northampton march on as league leaders sweep aside Orient

Northampton march on as league leaders sweep aside Orient
By PA Sport

14/02/2016 at 01:46Updated 14/02/2016 at 02:14

Northampton claimed a club-record seventh straight win in emphatic style as a 4-0 victory at Leyton Orient kept them five points clear at the top of League Two.

It took 54 minutes for the opening goal, with an overhead kick from defender Rod McDonald giving the in-form visitors the lead.

The Cobblers made it 2-0 in equally stunning fashion as Ricky Holmes lashed a first-time volley past Alex Cisak and James Collins scored twice in the last six minutes to seal the points .

Second-placed Plymouth cruised to a 3-0 victory against fellow promotion hopefuls Mansfield.

Argyle took the lead in the 33rd minute when Gregg Wylde's 25-yard effort crept past goalkeeper Scott Shearer and the Greens were awarded a penalty shortly afterwards when Krystian Pearce fouled Peter Hartley in the area.

Ryan Brunt confidently stroked home the penalty and the striker added a third late on to seal a comfortable win.

Oxford maintained the pressure with a 4-2 win at 10-man Morecambe.

Kemar Roofe's 19th goal of the season was cancelled out by Lee Molyneux's stunning 25-yard chip, but the dismissal of Shaun Miller with 20 minutes remaining proved costly for Morecambe.

John Lundstram slotted in a simple second for Oxford, Danny Hylton fired home a third and Jordan Bowery chipped in a fourth to compound Morecambe's misery.

Tom Barkhuizen scored a stoppage-time consolation.

Portsmouth moved into the play-off places with a 3-1 win against Bristol Rovers.

Gareth Evans, Michael Smith and Marc McNulty were the Pompey scorers, with Lee Brown pulling one back at the death.

Accrington earned a thumping 4-1 win against Crawley in a game of three red cards.

Crawley took the lead through Gwion Edwards but Accrington were level early in the second half as Billy Kee pounced on the loose ball after a Matt Crooks shot had been parried by the goalkeeper.

Stanley were reduced to 10 men following a poor challenge by Shay McCarten, but Simon Walton followed for his part in an ensuing scuffle and shortly afterwards Accrington substitute Jason Mooney was sent from the bench.

Matty Pearson fired home a second for Accrington from 18 yards, Seamus Conneely found the bottom corner to make it 3-1 and Piero Mingoia added a fourth in injury time.

At the bottom of the table, York held on for a 2-1 win against Notts County, with Michael Coulson and Bradley Fewster scoring .

A superb solo goal from Luke Gambin set Barnet on their way to a 2-0 win at Dagenham, who slipped to the foot of the table.

Craig Hignett's first game in charge of Hartlepool ended in a 2-1 win against Yeovil, with a Billy Paynter penalty and Adam Jackson header putting them 2-0 up.

Nathan Smith was sent off, but Yeovil pulled a goal back through Francois Zoko in injury time.

Byron Harrison enjoyed his return to Stevenage as the striker, on loan from Chesterfield, scored both goals in a 2-0 win against Cambridge.

Lyle Taylor scored twice for AFC Wimbledon as they roared to a 4-1 win at home to Luton, while Stephen McGinn curled home his first goal for Wycombe to earn them a 1-0 win against Exeter.

Scott Boden scored the only goal as Newport claimed a 1-0 win against Carlisle in an early kick-off at Rodney Parade.