Loeb leads heading into final day in NZ
Sebastien Loeb will take a 6.4 second lead over Citroen team-mate Mikko Hirvonen into the final day of Rally New Zealand after holding the Finn at bay through the four afternoon stages.
Sebastien Loeb will take a 6.4-second lead over Citroen team-mate Mikko Hirvonen into the final day of Rally New Zealand after holding the Finn at bay through the four Saturday afternoon stages.
Hirvonen had closed right in on Loeb at the end of the morning loop, but Loeb opened the gap up again after service and this time Hirvonen was only able to trim it slightly even on stages where he was more comfortable.
Failing to get back ahead of Loeb on Saturday afternoon could mark the end of Hirvonen's bid for victory. Citroen team boss Yves Matton has intimated that a 'hold position' order may be imposed for the final day, and in any case heavy rain is forecast to arrive and Loeb has a greater supply of the appropriate soft tyres left over.
Third-placed Petter Solberg (Ford) has the most soft tyres of any of the frontrunners, but is still 1m33s down on the Citroens.
Not far behind Solberg, M-Sport Ford pair Evgeny Novikov and Ott Tanak are battling for fourth. Tanak was closing rapidly on Novikov through Saturday before losing time with a spin on the penultimate stage of the leg.
Qatar Citroen driver Thierry Neuville is staying a safe distance clear of the chasing Dani Sordo's Prodrive Mini in sixth, while Ford's Jari-Matti Latvala continues to set rapid times as he tries to recover after his Friday mistake, but remains two minutes adrift of next target Sordo.
Second leg classification:.
1. Sebastien Loeb (France) Citroen 3:27:51.900
2. Mikko Hirvonen (Finland) Citroen +00:06.400
3. Petter Solberg (Norway) Ford 01:33.300
4. Evgeny Novikov (Russia) Ford 02:02.500
5. Ott Taenak (Estonia) Ford 02:23.800
6. Thierry Neuville (Belgium) Citroen 02:47.200
7. Daniel Sordo (Spain) Mini 03:05.900
8. Jari-Matti Latvala (Finland) Ford 04:58.000
9. Armindo Araujo (Portugal) Mini 08:21.100
10. Ken Block (U.S.) Ford 09:07.600