Olympic Games

Kiwi Olympic house evacuated as barbie catches fire

Hundreds of guests were evacuated without injury after a barbecue caught fire at New Zealand's London Olympic hospitality house on Wednesday.

 
Kiwi Olympic house on fire - Olympic GamesReuters
 

"There was a fire this evening at approximately 7.30pm in the outdoor area of Kiwi House in London, an outdoor oven caught fire," the New Zealand Olympic committee said in a statement.

"People were safely and swiftly evacuated, and emergency services were called. Once people were safely evacuated the BBQ gas bottle exploded. There are no reported injuries and the situation is now contained."

BBC television reported that up to 700 people were evacuated after the fire near King's Cross station. Two fire engines and 10 firefighters put the blaze out.

Kiwi House, inside Central St Martins College, is open to athletes, officials and the public and is a short walk from the Javelin high speed train terminal that takes passengers to the Olympic Park.

 - Eurosport
 
 
 
Do not miss
  • TV guide

    Find detailed TV schedules for all Eurosport channel.

  • Mobile Applications

    Find all the sports news on iPhone, BlackBerry, Android and iPad.

  • Breaking News

    Follow up to the minute sports reports with Eurosport.

Follow Eurosport.com
 
On Facebook
 
On Twitter
 
On Mobile
EurosportCopyright 2014
Eurosport.com is available in other languages