Lewis Hamilton fastest in Spanish Grand Prix practice as Mercedes set the pace
Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas set a blistering pace in the first session of practice at the Spanish Grand Prix.
Hamilton, searching for his second race win of the season, pipped his team-mate to the quickest lap time by just 0.029 seconds.
Championship leader Sebastian Vettel stopped at the exit of the pitlane, reporting an issue with the gearbox with just over an hour to go. After a short spell in the garage, the German rejoined the fray and ended up fourth quickest, just over a tenth adrift of his team-mate.
Fernando Alonso's session lasted just a handful of corners, his car snapping approaching Turn 3 with smoke and fluid pouring from his Honda power unit. Honda said it was an oil leak and in a bid to ensure he gets out for second practice, chose to change the engine while it investigated the problem. Alonso's team-mate Stoffel Vandoorne had a more fruitful session, recording 24 laps and the 12th quickest time.
Sergey Sirotkin, who took over Jolyon Palmer's Renault for this session, managed 10 laps and the 19th quickest time before his outing was curtailed by a water leak.
Provisional Classification after Free Practice One
1. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) Mercedes 1:21.521
2. Valtteri Bottas (Finland) Mercedes 1:21.550
3. Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) Ferrari 1:22.456
4. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) Ferrari 1:22.600
5. Max Verstappen (Netherlands) Red Bull - TAG Heuer 1:22.706
6. Daniel Ricciardo (Australia) Red Bull - TAG Heuer 1:23.084
7. Kevin Magnussen (Denmark) Haas - Ferrari 1:23.670
8. Romain Grosjean (France) Haas - Ferrari 1:23.758
9. Nico Huelkenberg (Germany) Renault 1:23.993
10. Carlos Sainz Jr (Spain) Toro Rosso - Renault 1:24.004
11. Sergio Perez (Mexico) Force India - Mercedes 1:24.188
12. Esteban Ocon (France) Force India - Mercedes 1:24.324
13. Stoffel Vandoorne (Belgium) McLaren 1:24.400
15. Daniil Kvyat (Russia) Toro Rosso - Renault 1:24.642
17. Pascal Wehrlein (Germany) Sauber - Ferrari 1:25.182
18. Lance Stroll (Canada) Williams-Mercedes 1:25.919
19. Sergey Sirotkin (Russia) Renault 1:26.293
20. Fernando Alonso (Spain) McLaren