The RFU was forced to issue a statement on its website over the weekend, denying reports it had already signed a contract with a new coach. "Because of numerous reports about the so-called agreed candidates... and having former RFU chief (Sergei Fursenko) signing contracts with them, the RFU would like to officially state that, at the moment, it has not signed any contracts with any possible candidates," the RFU said.
"Also, on Tuesday, July 10, a list of coaches will be published on the RFU's official website and with whom the RFU will start contract negotiations."
Not a day goes by without a new name being thrown up for the job which became vacant after Dutchman Dick Advocaat's departure after Russia's failure to get past the group phase at Euro 2012.
Fursenko, a close friend of Russian President Vladimir Putin, quit his post last month.
Last week, Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko told RFU executive board members that Fursenko had already made a deal with a high-profile foreign coach.
Russian newspapers, quoting RFU and Sports Ministry sources, said Mancini, who last season led City to their first English top flight title since 1968, had signed a four-year deal.
The respected Kommersant daily quoted a source within the RFU as saying the Italian would earn 7.3 million euros ($8.98 million) a year tax free.
Fursenko's departure called into question the validity of any contract, newspapers said - but Mancini's subsequent five-year contract extension with Manchester City appears to have killed off any rumours.