Sergei Chernetski wins stage six of the Tour of Catalunya
Sergei Chernetski of team Katusha won stage six of the Tour of Catalunya on the streets of Port Aventura.
Australia's Richie Porte retains the overall lead after stage six with one stage of the WorldTour race to go.
Russia's Chernetski managed to edge out Julian Alaphilippe (Etixx-QuickStep) and Maciej Paterski (CCC Sprandi Polkowice) in third.
“Today was my day. I’m very happy,” said Chernetski.
“In the final I wanted to attack earlier but in the last kilometers it was full gas and there was no place to get away. Instead I could only concentrate on the upcoming sprint…this is my first WorldTour victory and it is very big for me.”
The Tour of Catalunya finishes on Sunday with a 126.6km stage to Barcelona.
Results after stage six
1 Sergei Chernetski (Rus) Team Katusha 4:42:47
2 Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Etixx - Quick-Step
3 Maciej Paterski (Pol) CCC Sprandi Polkowice
4 Marc Soler (Spa) Movistar Team
5 Jonathan Hivert (Fra) Bretagne-Séché Environnement
7 Georg Preidler (Aut) Team Giant-Alpecin
8 Rudy Molard (Fra) Cofidis, Solutions Credits
9 Thomas Danielson (USA) Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team 0:00:03
10 Carlos Verona Quintanilla (Spa) Etixx - Quick-Step
Overall classification after stage six
1. Richie Porte (Aus) Sky
2. Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) Ag2r-La Mondiale at 5 secs
4. Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar at 16 secs
5. Rigoberto Uran (Col) Etixx-QuickStep at 18 secs
6. Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana at 27 secs
7. Darwin Atapuma (Col) BMC at 33 secs
8. Rafael Valls (Spa) Lampre-Merida at 43 secs
9. Wilco Kelderman (Ned) LottoNL-Jumbo at 1-09
10. Daniel Martin (Irl) Cannondale-Garmin at 1-35