Pietersen, speaking after blazing an unbeaten 234 for Surrey, also hinted that speculation he was in talks with the England and Wales Cricket Board to reverse his quit call were correct.
"I've said before that, if the schedule was right, if they could sort my schedule out, I would love to play for another three or four years in all forms of cricket," Pietersen told reporters."But the schedule at the moment is a nightmare. I hope something can be sorted out."
Pietersen ended his limited-overs career for England when he announced his shock retirement from the shorter formats of international cricket, at the age of just 31, earlier this summer. Speculation has mounted in the past couple of days that Pietersen was set to perform a U-turn on that decision, though, after reportedly meeting ECB officials.
While the right-hander appeared to validate those claims he indicated England's international schedule, which helped prompt his retirement, was still a major hurdle in any possible return.
Asked if talks with the ECB about his limited overs future had begun, he replied: "I think so."
Pietersen had initially wanted to call time only on 50-over cricket and carry on in Twenty20, but the terms of ECB central contracts prevent players picking and choosing their formats. Pietersen reiterated his desire to play in England's World Twenty20 title defence later this year, however, he would have to act fast to claim a place.
England must meet an ICC deadline of July 18 to name their initial 30-man squad for the tournament in Sri Lanka in September.
"I've always said I want to play in Twenty20," he said. "But I needed to get away from the schedule. I cannot keep playing every single day's cricket. I've never been looked after. I cannot keep playing every warm-up game, I cannot keep practising every single day.
"There comes a time when I know what I need to do to be successful. I've got a young family and I cannot be on the treadmill all day, every day."